Friday, August 6, 2010

Day 80: Party at the Chigi

Ohhhh today! Today was a lot more fun than the "dull-do-nothing" day I had anticipated. Another time for the victory of "low expectations and being pleasantly surprised".  Well, we woke up and rent running to Genzano -- I thought my legs were going to fall off and Emily was going to have to call me a cab back to the Chigi. It was difficult. But I powered through. So, once I dragged myself home from the run, we hung around the Palace trying to regain our strength (or maybe that was just me).  I mustarded up the endurance to walk to Albano (another 2+ mile journey...) with Meg and Kasi because I was deadset on getting this particular Italian coffee maker. After a lot searching and almost giving up, we found the store!  I got my coffee maker (yayy!) and Meg and Kasi scored some gifts for home as well. I picked up a sandwich from the Porchetta stand on the way back "home" and ate it while watching one of my all-time favorite childhood movies... It Takes Two! Yes, I walked in to the Palace to find Katelyn and Stacy watching this Olsen Twin's classic -- I was in heaven. We reminsced on those elementary school years and watched Kirstie Ally find that "can't eat, can't sleep, reach for the stars over the fence, world series kind of love".

The credits started rolling and I took that as my que... To start being productive. Dang. So I walked to my room, assessed the packaging situation and just dove right into it. Wow. That's all I have to say. Wow. I have got my work cut out for me with this packing deal. Halfway through I realized, "I don't think I can fit it all..." and so I had to start weeding out between the necessities and unnecessities. That helped a little... But I was still struggling for space. And I was so embarassed because I thought I had gotten so good at packing this summer -- what happened?!

After I worked up a sweat trying to zip my luggage I decided I deserved some rest, so I watched some Friends and then took a nap. I couldn't believe the time when I woke up (5:30), so I ran and jumped in the shower because we had our video presentations at 6:30 and our guests for our party were expected to arrive at 7'ish. Eek!

Yes, our guests for our Southern Hometown Meal Party were supposed to be arriving around 7'ish.  For those of you who can't read my mind and don't know what this party is... every semesters the students make Southern food dishes and have a kind of "appertivo-type" party for all of the Italians we've worked with over the summer!  The Italians were in for a treat with this group because (not to toot our own horn or anything) we are really good cooks!  Yes, we had everything from chicken salad sandwiches, fried chicken nuggets, baked beans, deviled eggs, mashed potatoes, corn casserole, cornbread muffins, guacamole, margaritas, banana pudding, red velvet cake balls, puppy chow mix... we had quite the spread! And it was all delicious!

[caption id="attachment_1841" align="aligncenter" width="360" caption="Caitlyn cooking her delicious fried chicken nuggets -- Now that's Southern! "][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1842" align="aligncenter" width="360" caption="Someone made PB&J's"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1843" align="aligncenter" width="270" caption="A little of the spread we had set out... "][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1844" align="aligncenter" width="270" caption="A specialty drink we created in Barcelona... Loco Sangria de Cava! Made by placing Haribo Peach Gummies in the bottom of a wine carafe and filling it with champagne... delicioso!"][/caption]


Knowing the Italians, they didn't start arriving until about 8:00.  But once one came, they all started showing up!  Everyone from our teachers, to our cab drivers to our bus driver to our community friends... everyone was here.  It was so much fun -- we all had a blast (and I think they really liked the food too!). The best part of the night was when Renaldo, the sweet man from our wine tasting in Ariccia last week, showed up with this GIGANTIC STUFFED EAGLE!  Holy cow -- we were dddyyyiinnggg!! I guess he got word that Auburn's mascot is an eagle and he felt the need to bring this enormous mounted eagle to our party for the night -- who knows?!  But it was absolutely hysterical and we loved it!  And we love Renaldo too -- he was taking pictures of us left and right, and the best part was he could not speak a lick of English.  I wanted to talk to him so badly and I just could not think of any phrases to save my life... so I just smiled and nodded my head!





[caption id="attachment_1846" align="aligncenter" width="360" caption="Renaldo with his HUGE eagle! Look at the surprise on Peek"][/caption]



Everyone pose with the Eagle!


[caption id="attachment_1848" align="aligncenter" width="360" caption="Anddd everyone else jump in the picture! "][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1849" align="aligncenter" width="360" caption="Caitlyn, Anna Curl, Meg and myself with our precious taxi driver this summer -- Patrizia!! She literally saved us from public transportation so many times. She always picked us up from the airport or wherever we were stranded at. We couldn't be more thankful for this woman. "][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1850" align="aligncenter" width="360" caption="Anna Curl taking one for the team in this picture :) "][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1851" align="aligncenter" width="360" caption="Becca, Katherine and I with the Eagle in the background"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1852" align="aligncenter" width="270" caption="Italian's feel the need to be gracious to their hosts and bring a gift upon their arrival to a party... but unlike Americans, they bring a CASE of wine -- not just one bottle! AND of white AND red wine -- what?!"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1853" align="aligncenter" width="360" caption="Cinzia trying to decide what she's going to do with all of this wine... "][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1854" align="aligncenter" width="360" caption="Curl, me and Kat with our Loco Sangria de Cavaaaa :) "][/caption]



[caption id="attachment_1857" align="aligncenter" width="360" caption="Caitlyn, Emily and Peek with some of the Italian's that were sweet to us this summer -- Francesco, Bruno and Bruno's wife"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1858" align="aligncenter" width="270" caption="Mary Lou was so nice -- she brought us little gifts to remember Italy by, they are key chains with two red horns on it. They are supposed to bring you good luck and protect you from evil :) "][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1859" align="aligncenter" width="360" caption="Everyone getting their keychain "][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1860" align="aligncenter" width="360" caption="Show what you got!"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1862" align="aligncenter" width="270" caption="Kasi and me "][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1863" align="aligncenter" width="270" caption="Mary Lou and me :) "][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1864" align="aligncenter" width="270" caption="Cinzia making fun of how short we are... "][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1865" align="aligncenter" width="270" caption="A real picture with Cinzia! "][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1866" align="aligncenter" width="360" caption="Chigi Love!"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1867" align="aligncenter" width="360" caption="Noelle and I with Bruno and Renaldo "][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1868" align="aligncenter" width="270" caption="The Eagle... it will go down in history for the Chigi Palace"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1869" align="aligncenter" width="360" caption="Me, Curl and Kasi with Susanna"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1870" align="aligncenter" width="270" caption="The man LOVED the Eagle"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1871" align="aligncenter" width="270" caption="We made Francesco a sword and he was obsessed "][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1872" align="aligncenter" width="270" caption="And Cinzia got a ceramic tiger for her new apartment -- a little something to remember us by! "][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1874" align="aligncenter" width="360" caption="And then we took it another step -- we dressed the Eagle in Auburn gear. Doesn't it look just like Nova (the Eagle that flies in Jordan Hare)? "][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1876" align="aligncenter" width="360" caption="Renaldo loved it "][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1877" align="aligncenter" width="270" caption="If this doesn't scream "War Eagle" I don't know what does! "][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1878" align="aligncenter" width="270" caption="Eagle Lovin'"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1879" align="aligncenter" width="360" caption="Proud students! "][/caption]

We talked and laughed and ate for a long while, and then it was time for the gift giving.  On our packing list before we came was a gift from home, and these were to be given to our guests tonight.  I brought a Huntsville Heritage Cookbook (forgot that it was in English...) and I ended up giving it to Peek because everyone else had already received a present (and she could read it the best...).   When the time came to say goodbye, that's when it hit me -- we're really leaving.  And we may never see these people ever again... it was so sad!  It just baffles me how some people can walk in and out of your life.  Like Mary Lou, for example.  I love this woman and I have learned so much from her this summer, and  I may never see her again -- she was wishing us good luck with our lives!  Seriously depressing.  And Francesco... the nicest man to have graced this Earth.. and he loves us! It kills me to think I'll never see him again.  Then there's Cinzia... she was our leader for 81 days, there for us throughout every part this summer... and this is goodbye!  I can't talk about it anymore, it's draining me emotionally.

[caption id="attachment_1880" align="aligncenter" width="360" caption="The view from our kitchen window -- I'm going to miss Ariccia "][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1881" align="aligncenter" width="360" caption="Look at the friends we've made over the summer!"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1882" align="aligncenter" width="360" caption="Patrizia, don't leave!! "][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1883" align="aligncenter" width="270" caption="We love all of our teachers"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1884" align="aligncenter" width="360" caption="Look at all the wine we had left over! What are we going to do with just one night left in the Palace? "][/caption]

Our guests slowly started leaving and we thought the party was over.... until Francesco broke out his guitar and started playing for us!  We all gathered in the common room and listened to him play (we may or may not have broke out in some karaoke as well...)

[caption id="attachment_1885" align="aligncenter" width="360" caption="Everyone gathering in the common room"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1886" align="aligncenter" width="270" caption="Francesco entertaining us :) "][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1887" align="aligncenter" width="360" caption="Kat, Curl and Kasi piling on top of the bean bags"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1888" align="aligncenter" width="360" caption="Candid shot -- sorry guys for the unexpected picture"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1890" align="aligncenter" width="360" caption="Yes, we did You Tube "Sweet Home Alabama" so Francesco could hear it and attempt to play it on the guitar... "][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1891" align="aligncenter" width="360" caption="This is my little nest area on Thursday night... still some ways to go before our flight Saturday"][/caption]

Our night in Chigi was so much fun and the party went swimmingly!  We ended the night around 1:30 and hit the sheets immediately.  Tomorrow is our last day... hard to  believe it's finally here.  Summer don't end, please. Ok?  OK!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous lisaharbarger said...

Sis, how bittersweet. I know you can't wait to come home but bringing this summer to a close is bound to hurt. What wonderful memories you've made and been able to share so beautifully with us. Thank you. Mom

August 6, 2010 at 12:11 PM  
Anonymous Marco said...

Sara Kate. What a wonderful and fitting close to such a life changing experience. In these 82 days you have marveled me in your willingness to venture on your own, entertained me with postings and dazzled me with your creative writing. You have been generous with your time and allowed me to travel with you. Thanks to you my life boundary has expanded. I hate to see it close but wait in great anticipation of your state side arrival!!!

August 6, 2010 at 4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home