Friday, August 6, 2010

Day 81: Top 5's for the Summer!

I promised it-- my top 5's for the summer!


Someone once asked me if I was the type of person who let life happen to me or if I was the type of person who made life happen.  Twelve weeks ago I may not have had a definite answer to this question.  Yes, I have passions.  Yes, I love adventure.  Yes, I have a zest for life.  But did I make life happen?  All I know is that I did this summer, and I couldn't be more please with this decision!


So after all the ups and downs, the plane rides and the train rides, the shopping and the touring... here we have it -- the top things from my summer abroad in Italy!  Enjoy :)



5 Favorite Field Trips



  1. Ninfa Gardens and Organic Winery

  2. Tuscany Week Visits (especially the first winery we visited)

  3. Verona -- Juliet's Wall in particular

  4. Maison Moschino and 10 Corso Como with Valentina in Milan

  5. Terelli Costume Warehouse


5 Favorite Moments From The Summer



  1. The Cab Ride to Patti's

  2. The Temple Bar in Dublin (Cider + Son of a Preacher Man Karaoke + World Cup Game...)

  3. Making it to and from London on our own

  4. All of our Bachelorette showings/gatherings

  5. Watching Italy's World Cup Game at our Italian friend's apartment


5 Things That I Learned



  1. How to properly taste a wine

  2. Ryan Air never leaves on time

  3. Nothing really is Something (thank you Philosophy class with Rosella...)

  4. Converting Czechs to USD is practically impossible

  5. I really enjoy writing


5 Favorite Italian Cities



  1. Positano/Capri

  2. Florence

  3. Siena

  4. Verona

  5. Ariccia/Nemi/Frescati


5 Favorite European Cities



  1. London

  2. Barcelona and Amsterdam are tied for 2nd

  3. Dublin

  4. Prague


5 Favorite Tourist Sites



  1. Anne Frank House in Amsterdam

  2. Big Ben in London

  3. Sagrada Familia (and everything Gaudi) in Barcelona

  4. Notting Hill in London

  5. Everything in Rome


5 Regrets



  1. Not going to the John Lennon Graffiti Wall in Prague

  2. Not going to the IAmsterdam sign in Amsterdam

  3. Not buying more at Florence's markets

  4. Not going to the Leaning Tower of Pisa during our 5 hour layover in Pisa before London

  5. Not checking two huge suitcases


5 Favorite Italian Meals



  1. Tortellini with Leeks and Bacon in Siena

  2. Butter and Sage Ravioli in Nemi

  3. Everything at Old Bear

  4. Pumpkin Ravioli in Milan

  5. Calzone at Gaudi's Pizzeria in Rome


5 Favorite Non-Italian Meals



  1. Every meal at Patti's! (B&B in Ireland)

  2. Falafel in Barcelona

  3. Pub in Prague (lentil soup, salad and Irish Coffee)

  4. Belgian Waffle in Brussles

  5. Prince Albert's in London


5 Favorite Gelatos



  1. Lemon Cream in Positano (so good we got it twice in one day)

  2. Peach and Honey by the Trevi Fountain in Rome

  3. Oreo from Bambi's Gelateria in Ariccia

  4. Any Caffe gelato! (preferably with white chocolate)

  5. Limon and Frutta de Basco (fruits of the forest) at Lake Albano


5 Favorite Purchases



  1. All my paintings from various places this summer

  2. Leather Jacket from Florence

  3. FEED Bag from World Food Program

  4. Duty Free Longchamps

  5. Converse Slims



I am sad to say this will be my last post from Italy... It has been quite the journey! 82 days... I didn't know if I would make it -- but I did :) and I love every single minute of it.  It has been one of the most exciting, most challenging and most rewarding experiences of my 21 years.  I have learned so much about myself, and about life in general.  Thank you for letting me share my experience with you, it has been one of my favorite things this summer (see "5 Things I Learned" list...)!



Ciao for the last time from Ariccia, Italy :)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Marco said...

My top 5:
1. Your departure from Huntsville and arrival in Arricia
2. Daily watching my email for a "Life in Limbo" posting
3. Following you and Becca in London
4. Every moment at Patti's and in Dublin (who amongst us does not have a nut in the family)
5. That damn eagle with the Auburn jersey!!!

War Eagle Baby!

August 6, 2010 at 4:33 PM  
Anonymous lisaharbarger said...

My Top Five:
1. Hearing your voice when you were in London; I don't think I have ever heard you that happy.
2. Just imagining you trying to get to Miss. Patti's. I'm sure words cannot begin to describe.
3. The inspiration and awe that followed any class with francseco (I know I spelled that wrong), Mary Lou and Marco. Could you have ordered up any better mentors, of course not...War Damn Eagle.
4. Your new friends...people live a lifetime looking for friends, you fell right into a group that will last a lifetime if you all give a little effort to make this last.
5. I'm so proud. Would I have done this....no....and that's my weakness, not yours. That is what makes you so extra special. Why did God bless me, I cannot imagine, but boy am I ever grateful. I love you!!

August 6, 2010 at 11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home