Monday, May 16, 2011

Day 1: Intro Into Interning

If this post doesn't make sense it is because I'm in a state of delirium from the 11 hour work day I tackled my first day on the job, so my apologies! 

Yes, so I'll start there.  Today was the first day of my internship, and I woke up with mixed emotions... nervous, excited, confused, underprepared... just a basket-case of feelings.  The night before, I programmed my Mr. Coffee maker (which I am holding as contraband in my room because I don't think we're supposed to have them) to start brewing at 6:05 a.m., so I felt a bit like a Folgers commercial waking up to the sound of my coffee perculating, but it was heaven.  So I got up, showered, made my coffee, turned on my Chris Tomlin Pandora station and got ready for my first day on the job.  I made it in perfect time to be out the door at 8:30 (I start at 9:00). 

New York ordered up some pretty weather for my first morning walk to work -- it was a combination of overcast, gloomy, misty and windy. Don't be too jealous! Luckily I was prepared and wore my rain coat and popped open my umbrella (if you think the streets of New York's Times Square is crowded, try adding umbrellas to the picture!).  My walk took me about 15 minutes, and I got into the lobby, changed my shoes (I went with my killer wedges--trying to win that first impression) and checked in with security.  They sent me up my floor and my supervisor was there at the door waiting on me promptly at 9:00! Another intern was starting today as well, which is good since misery loves company and I wasn't going to be the only new person on the job today. So our lady showed us around the office and the basic tasks that were going to be asked of us and we pretty much just started! I hadn't been in the office 15 minutes and I was already helping a veteran intern (she'd been there 2 months) roll racks out into the hall way! Throughout the day, we would be shown how to do certain tasks (like returning clothes to designers or PR companies), and then we would do them. On our own.  On the first day.  I couldn't believe the amount of responsibility they entrusted us with--but I loved it!  I loved feeling like I was already helping the magazine and helping out my supervisor.  The since of accomplishment I felt after I'd packaged up a bag, labeled it, taken a picture of the clothes and sent it to be delivered was great.  

2:00 rolled around and we were given a lunch break, so I took 30 minutes and went to this salad place on times square to eat a quick bite.  I'm usually so intimidated to eat by myself, but today was different. It was like it was ok because I was on my lunch break--I had never had that feeling before. So I enjoyed that time outside of the office (although it was still misting and I was still getting poked by umbrellas), but when I got back it was right back to work!  I spent the rest of the afternoon completing the same tasks, and other ones (like searching for missing items), and then ended the day by lugging all the racks back into the conference room to be locked up for the evening.  The day (or night) was over at 7:30, and I hit 7th Avenue headed straight for my apartment! My feet couldn't get me there fast enough.  But, of course, before I could get back I had to stop for dinner.  It had been such a long, exhausting day that I couldn't dream of eating anything healthy.  No, I headed straight for S'Barro--and boy did S'Barro come through in the clutch.  Here is a picture of how I ended my day (I'd say its a good note): 

Large Diet Coke is not pictured, but I got that also. I'm not ashamed. 


So after day one I came straight back to my room with my to-go dinner, changed into the biggest, comfiest t-shirt I could find and enjoyed my pizza and libations :) It may be a lot of work, but I can tell it is going to be worth it and I am going to like it.  Now if I can just decide on the perfect shoe to wear to work..... 


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl, I"m exhausted!! All I know is that you have got to ask Rose if there is an ice machine anywhere in that highrise with your name on it...a girl needs to unwind after work, and i don't mean a diet coke!!!! What a way to begin your summer, just think, next weekend Aunt Patti and Uncle Steve will be there to entertain, or vice versa. xoxo...mom

May 16, 2011 at 10:26 PM  
Blogger Mark Harbarger said...

Great day! FPH & A has got to look into this internship thing, free labor!!! This is your time...work hard, learn lots but have fun doing it!

May 16, 2011 at 10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home